As the industry well knows, budget time can bring a lot of news for the Aged Care Industry. On Thursday, 4th May 2023, announcements were made by the Government of what Aged Care will be seeing in this Labor Government’s second budget.
The Government’s 2023 – 24 budget will include $11.1B over 4 years for Residential Aged Care Providers to fund the higher wages for Aged Care workers and support increased costs from 1st July 2023.
Here is a quick snapshot of what has been announced so far:
Aged Care Worker Pay Increase to be fully funded by Government
The Fair Work Commission’s decision for a 15% pay increase to be delivered to Aged Care workers, will be fully funded by the Government.
- The 15% pay increase will apply to Aged Care workers in the roles of Registered nurses, enrolled nurses, assistants in nursing, personal care workers, head chefs and cooks, recreational activities officers (lifestyle workers) and home care workers.
- The increase applies to payments made to employees from 1st July 2023
- The funding will include on-costs & leave liabilities
You can read more from the Department on this announcement here: https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-anika-wells-mp/media/albanese-governments-second-budget-to-deliver-fairer-wages-for-aged-care-workers
AN-ACC Starting Price
The AN-ACC Starting price will be increased from 1st July 2023 to $243.10.
- The AN-ACC price for Residential Aged Care will increase from $216.80 to $243.10, from 1st July 2023
- The increase is to fund the Aged Care worker pay rise and account for inflation and other increasing costs
- The increase is based on advice from the Independent Health and Aged Care Pricing Authority
You can read more from the Department on this announcement here: https://www.health.gov.au/our-work/AN-ACC/funding-higher-wages-in-residential-aged-care#increase-to-the-anacc-price
A new hotelling supplement will be introduced, to cover the pay rise for head chefs and cooks in Aged Care.
- The Hotelling Supplement of $10.80, per Resident, per day, will be established
- The supplement will include the funding to cover the pay rise for head cooks and chefs working in Residential Aged Care Facilities
- The supplement will be paid from 1st July 2023
- The supplement will be automatically paid to eligible providers monthly alongside the other Residential Aged Care Supplements & Subsidies
- All Residential Aged Care Providers who are not subject to sanctions, are eligible for the Hotelling Supplement
You can read more from the Department on this announcement here: https://www.health.gov.au/our-work/residential-aged-care/funding/supplements/hotelling